Rehabilitative games as commercial exports
– Lingsoft is part of a Tekes project that is bringing together games industry and health technology expertsLingsoft is part of the Tekes-funded Business Ecosystems in Effective Exergaming project, which aims to create an effective environment for the commercialisation of fitness games, or exergames. The goal of the project is to create a new concept for the global health technology marketplace. The project focuses on developing the effectiveness, international business models and commercialisation methods of rehabilitative exergames.
The project will be implemented as a three-year joint project between Turku University of Applied Sciences, The University of Oulu and the University of Jyväskylä. The project also includes a network of partners and health technology companies from Finland and Asia.
– The goal of the research project is to assess the usability, feasibility and, above all, impact of gamified rehabilitation processes that utilise remote technologies, says Professor Ari Heinonen from the University of Jyväskylä’s Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences.
The project's impact study on gamified rehabilitation solutions will support the commercialisation of Finnish health technology products and create the prerequisites for their commercialisation and export potential. The focus is especially on Asia, where the project has its own participants.
A joint effort in wellbeing technology
The project includes a wide-ranging group of companies from the rehabilitation, games and technology industry. The expertise and solutions of the participants will be utilised in finding the most suitable concepts and collaboration methods for gamified functionalities.
In addition to the project’s various device manufacturers and service providers, the project will also include Lingsoft’s special expertise in language technology. The ability of machines to understand language is also at the core of how games and AI work.
– Almost all digital interfaces are based on language, which they can utilise and understand. This includes games. Lingsoft has a lot of experience with the digitalisation and recording of health-oriented spoken and written language, as well as the automated refinement and utilisation of this type of data. We’re very excited to be a part of this communal project, notes Lingsoft CEO Juhani Reiman.
Lingsoft utilises speech recognition and other language-independent solutions that the company has developed for the processing of digitalised health data.
The project also includes Suunto, PhysioTools, SE Innovations Oy, eHoiva and GoodLife Technologies, as well as a group of higher education institutions and health technology companies from Asia: Nanyang Technological University, Taggle, Neeuro, Tohoku University, RehaMed, Sendai Finland Wellbeing Center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, and Shanghai Qiangshen Information and Technology.
A new mode of operation and model for collaboration
From the perspective of technological development, the tools and technological solutions for digitalisation already exist, at least for the most part. Thus, the BEE project is primarily concerned with ensuring the compatibility and impact of its participants’ solutions, as well as the collaborative models that will be built together with the project's participants.
The goal of the project is to design and test a new operating model and architecture for the rehabilitation industry. The close collaboration with the project's partners from China, Japan and Singapore will provide a comprehensive and international perspective for Finnish companies.
– The architecture will be tested piece by piece with various technological experiments and by developing the background system with our corporate partners. Our goal is to create an international business ecosystem, summarises Research Group Leader Mika Luimula from Turku University of Applied Sciences.
Ossi Tuusvuori, Senior Advisor, Lingsoft, tel. +358 40 760 8280
Mika Luimula, Principal Lecturer, Turku University of Applied Sciences, Futuristic Interactive Technologies research group, tel. +358 40 3550839
Ari Heinonen, Professor, University of Jyväskylä, Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences, tel. +358 40 805 3551
Timo Jämsä, Professor, University of Oulu, Faculty of Medicine, tel. +358 294 48 6001
– Business Ecosystems in Effective Exergaming (BEE): https://bee.turkuamk.fi/
– Business Ecosystems in Effective Exergaming (BEE): https://www.tuas.fi/en/research-and-development/projects/business-ecosystems-effective-exergaming-bee/
– DigiRehab Consortium: http://www.finlandhealth.fi/-/digirehab-consortium
Lingsoft is the leading provider of language services and language technology solutions in Finland and Northern Europe. Lingsoft provides a comprehensive range of services and solutions for analysing, handling and managing both spoken and written language, such as translation services, programme subtitling services, text processing services, and search and discoverability services, as well as tools for writers and readers. Lingsoft's solutions are based on the company’s sentence and word analysis technologies that have become the industry standard worldwide.
Copyright ©1986-2019, Lingsoft Ltd.